Mohammad Ali El Ghul
Biography and Practice Focus
Mohammed has over 19 years’ experience in general corporate and commercial law in the Middle East with 14 years in the UAE.
Mohammad was a Senior Associate with Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla –Dubai office, from May 2006 till May 2015, through which he was assigned to high-profile and complex corporate and commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions, reorganization of companies, regulatory matters, project finance, local laws and litigation.
Mohammad also advises on the incorporation and structuring of companies in the UAE including within the free zones. Also, Mohammad is experienced in general commercial contracts and advices on corporate governance and compliance with significant exposure to the fields of e-commerce, retail and F&B franchise Distribution sector, oil and gas, telecommunications and healthcare.
Mohammad has acted for local and regional corporate and healthcare companies, governments and regulatory bodies, multinationals and family businesses. Having been seconded to the in-house team of one of world prominent leading oil and gas companies (BP) in Dubai and Du Telecommunications in Dubai, Mohammad has a practical and commercial approach to advising clients and understanding their needs, as well as being able to understand risks of the business and how to be able to mitigate or eliminate risks and comply with compliance regulations for listed companies.
Mohammed is experienced in the negotiation and drafting of project documentation and a wide range of commercial/franchise/distribution agreements and regularly advises clients on regulatory compliance matters.
Mohammed also has specialist knowledge and experience in the areas of E-Com and IP law with specific insight into the telecommunication’s industry, having held an operational position at one of the largest telecommunications providers in the Middle East (Fastlink-Zain). He has also advised clients on various aspects of telecommunications regulation and related corporate and commercial matters.
Mohammad had few years of In-house roles at GE Healthcare, Souq.com (Amazon.com) and other family owned businesses in the UAE and Oman where he was working with the commercial team as a business partner to identify opportunities to drive business forward and support growth opportunities, e.g. working with business development in structuring, negotiating and closing of complex transactions/ developing legal processes and templates for new business models.
He is admitted to the Jordan Bar and is a member of the IBA. He holds a Master’s Degree in Business Law from Bond University in Australia specializing in IP, IT and E- Commerce, and an LLB from the University of Jordan. Mohammed is bilingual in English and Arabic.
Representative Legal Matters
- Involved in negotiations with governmental authorities representing a client on the establishment and incorporation of the third largest telecoms company in Jordan. Included drafting licensing agreements, intellectual property and royalty agreements, oversight of interconnection memoranda of understanding as well as licensing and registration applications for the registration of frequencies and spectrum.
- Drafting legal opinions for domestic and international clients on corporate and commercial issues in respect of telecommunications, IT, E-commerce, software agreements and transfer of technology agreements.
- As being an In-House Counsel/General Counsel – having the responsibility for structuring and negotiating a variety of strategic commercial contracts with customers throughout the Middle East, with a focus on the business. These multi-million dollar transactions typically include a wide range of equipment, software and service offerings. Also, advising the business on privacy, antitrust and advertising/promotional matters. Providing regulatory and compliance advice in conjunction with the regulatory and compliance specialist areas. To lead a fit-for-purpose legal function that delivers timely, pragmatic, relevant and risk-appropriate guidance and solutions that are in the best interest of the business with due regard to all relevant stakeholders. In addition, to provide legal support, risk management, corporate governance and strategic advice to the group companies, management and shareholders. Oversee the creation of a sound legal and commercial advice to the business across its end to end operations, working with the company’s operational areas, including, marketplace, business and retail divisions, marketing, technology (IT) and human resources.
- Advised on the structuring and subsequent re-structuring of a prominent UAE family business valued at USD550 million. This included negotiating a new corporate structure, drafting the transfer of shares documents, the assignment agreements, the settlement agreement as well as the corporate documents required for the incorporation of the new entities. Additional advice was also provided regarding the increase of the share capital for the securities and financial companies, in order to render them compliant with the requirements of the Emirates Securities and Commodities Authority.
- Providing ongoing corporate and commercial advice to a group valued at approximately AED400 million, a due diligence was conducted for one of the group’s entities; in order to convert it from a limited liability company (LLC) into a joint stock company (JSC)
- Prepared a legal opinion in relation to an acquisition by a foreign entity of a Jebel Ali Free Zone company’s assets, as well as advising on employment related issues.
- Advising on the rules, procedures and registration requirements regarding the conversion of a LLC valued at AED300 million into a private JSC. This involved attending meetings and negotiations with and/or on behalf of the founders, drafting the new entity’s corporate documents, including the articles and memorandum of association and the documentation required for the licensing and registration of the company.
- Advising companies listed on the Dubai Financial Market on corporate governance practices and stock exchange rules and regulations.
- Advising on the establishment of legal entities in the UAE and the various free zones.
- Drafting several franchises, agency and distribution agreements for international companies and advising on the applicability and enforceability of the same in the UAE and on various other regulatory and employment related matters.
- Liaising with the different governmental authorities and departments including Dubai Department of Economic Development, Ministry of Economy, Ministry of Finance and Industry, Ministry of Justice, Dubai Municipality and the Dubai International Financial Center.
- Drafting UAE legislation including laws, decrees, by-laws, rules and regulations including the Comprehensive Transport Legislation for Road and Transport Authority (RTA) STPD 001.
- Establishing one of the largest real estate companies in Jordan (Emaar Investments and Real Estate Development Company), valued at JD13,765,500, as a public JSC and listing it on the Amman Stock Exchange.